Wednesday, October 31, 2012

There are far, far better things than any we leave behind. - CS Lewis

I guess it's now a good time as any to say that, yep, it's official. I am moving. I am leaving Training - a department I've worked in for exactly eight years and four months. I'm moving to instructional design. Don't get excited, it's not a promotion. It's a lateral transfer. It's a move in the right direction because, well, I don't really know how to explain it, but it just feels right. My new role is supposed to become official on Monday, November 5th. I am excited, to say the least.

For sure, it's a change I've waited so long for. See, training has always been my haven, my comfort zone. I loved my colleagues - who became my friends. I loved how each day is different. I loved seeing my trainees get better at something that's so useful in and out of the workplace. Most importantly, and it might sound so egotistical, but I loved how good I am at it. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I wouldn't want to be paid to do something I'm not good at. I wouldn't want to call something I'm mediocre at, at best, my profession. I swear I'm not being haughty. It's the truth.

This move sounds promising. I went through two interviews and a rigorous four-hour 'test' - creating modules, actualizing facilitator guides, formulating objectives, designing assessments and integrating instructional media. When I got the post, I was over the moon. I know I'll be learning new things - tons of it.

I'm concerned about how I'll cope with my new schedule, though. I was told I'll be in the mid shift. That means, I'll start work in the afternoon at three or four. That also means, I get off work at around midnight. I'm anxious because I am used to helping my little girl with her homework, I am used to reading her a bed time story, to tucking her into bed and kissing her good night. I'm getting sad as I type but it is what it is. It has to be done. I want to look at the bright side and that's me being able to help her prepare for school early in the morning. I can also take her to her carpool's pickup point myself and send her off with a tight hug and a big kiss.

Changes are fun but they are also scary. I'll need your prayers, my dear readers (yes, all four of you). I fervently hope that this transition goes smoothly and that my family pulls through without any major hitches. I am looking forward to our future with faith and strength and positivity, that this is all part of God's perfect plan for us.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, 
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11


Bring it on, November.

Post Comment

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy for you, Krs! Good luck on your new post. I know you'll be excellent in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Katie, you always know what to say. I love you and I miss you heaps.

      Delete