Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ordeal

Last Sunday, The Husband noticed pale red bumps on my back which I quickly dismissed as nothing. It turned out it was SOMETHING - a pretty huge something. I developed a 39.6-degree fever Monday at dawn with chills. I thought my head was going to explode.

In the morning, the bumps had spread all over my body and the fever was still sky-high so I was rushed to the emergency room. (I am so HAPPY we live five minutes away from the hospital) They drew blood and I was asked to submit a urine sample. An hour later, we got the results and the ER doctor said I had viral exanthem signifying German measles.

I was told to go home and rest up and take plenty of fluids. I was more than happy to oblige because I felt so tired, like I-fended-off-a-gauntlet-of-rabid-Fifty-Shades-of-Gray-fans tired, and my joints were six kinds of sore. I had no appetite and everything I did try to eat tasted like cardboard. The doctor told me viral infections of this sort just went away on their own. Where could I have gotten it, you ask? Well, they couldn't say because it could've been from anywhere, basically. We were also told to just control the fever so paracetamol had to be taken every four hours. Worse, they told me I could be contagious. Worst, they're also considering the possibility of dengue. Apparently, these viruses are tricky to pin down and they don't want to take any chances.

Well, two CBCs, three sick leaves and four doctor's check-ups later, I'm recovering well. If I wake up tomorrow with no fever then I can go to work.

Wish me luck!

Post Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment