Sunday, April 21, 2013

Youth

There are things I did in my teens that I will strongly caution my daughter against doing and trying herself.

Things like getting into cars with the designated driver friend having had two bottles of beer. Or things like spending the night with two friends sleeping in a parked car on a dark street because we got locked out of my friend's dorm - What if we got mugged??? Or, just for fun, lying down on the pavement of a street in the middle of the night and scrambling to the sidewalk at the first sign of oncoming headlights. Or, because it sounded cool at the time, jumping into the pool with all our clothes on with no visibility and no idea how deep the water was.

No, I didn't do drugs, I didn't smoke, I wasn't promiscuous, I didn't associate with shady characters and I hand sanitized religiously.

Still. That was 14 years ago. Things are different now.

I want my daughter to grow up without experiencing any of the bad stuff. I don't want her regretting things. I DO want her to live her life to the fullest but I don't want her broken or scarred or hurt in any way possible.

I'm turning 31 this year. My daughter will turn eight in August.

I have roughly ten more years to arm her with the values and convictions to enable her to go through her memorable teen years carefree-ly and not carelessly.

Post Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment